FAQs: Supervision

1.      What is Transitional Control?

The Transitional Control program is available to offenders determined eligible by the Ohio Parole Board. Upon the sentencing judge’s approval, appropriate inmates may be placed on Transitional Control and transferred to a halfway house to complete up to the last 180 days of their prison term. Supervision is provided by Halfway House personnel and assessments are completed to determine programming and treatment needs.  The emphasis of the Transitional Control program is to provide offenders with resources for treatment, employment, education, vocational training so they may successfully transition to their home community.


2.      How long is the transitional control program?


Eligible and suitable participants can be placed on Transitional Control up to the last 180 days of their prison term in the program.


3.      How is Transitional Control eligibility determined?

All ODRC offenders are screened for eligibility for Transitional Control by the Parole Board. Once determined eligible an offender’s case manager will be notified by the institution Parole Board Parole Officer.  Your loved one can see their case manager for assistance.

4.      Can Transitional Control be denied?

Yes, in some cases even if the individual is suitable and eligible for the program, the Court reserves the right to deny Transitional Control.  This is referred to as a judicial veto. (S.B. 143).  Also, serious or repeated institutional infractions, and unresolved warrants can impact release. The nature of the violations or circumstances can result in individuals being deemed ineligible for Transitional Control.  It is important for those being considered for Transitional Control to follow institutional rules.

5.      My family member was given a Transitional Control eligibility date but they have not been released yet.  It is past the eligibility date, when will they be released?

The eligibility date is an “on or after date”.  It simply means your family member cannot be released before that date.  In all instances, attempts are made to place participants in a halfway house close to this date, however, factors including securing transportation, halfway house availability, and capacity can influence the actual release date.

6.      Can you tell me when my family member will be transported to the halfway house?

Due to security reasons and institutional protocols, the transportation dates will not be provided to family in advance.  However, the institution staff will be provided a date and the participant will be notified of their transport date prior to the actual date of transport.

7.      What halfway house will my family member be placed in?

In general, those who are suitable and eligible will be placed in an available halfway house within a county near their last known or proposed residence where they have the greatest opportunity for support.

8.      Can I visit my family member at the Halfway House?

Yes, but each facility has their own specific visitation rules.  You can reach out to the halfway house directly for visitation times and schedules.

9.      Can my family member visit meat my residence?

Yes, once eligible, Transitional Control participants may be granted home passes if actively participating in approved programming.  Residents of the location where the pass will take place, are subject to background checks and must meet certain requirements.   


10.  What can my family member expect once placed in the halfway house?

Although there are variations among programs, in general they can expect to be assigned a caseworker and a case plan will be developed to address their needs.  In most cases, they will receive programming and treatment as well as educational and employment opportunities.  A weekly itinerary must be submitted to track movement in the community, and whereabouts must be verifiable.

11.  How will my family member know the rules of the program?

Each participant will go through an orientation upon entry into the halfway house and receive a handbook regarding specific program rules.  These rules should also indicate what items they can possess and bring into the facility as well.

12.  My family member has employment available upon his release.  Can they work immediately upon release to the halfway house?

Typically, there is an initial period of restriction to the facility in which participants are assessed and treatment recommendations are made. Employment and vocational considerations are important, however, core programming needs may need to be met before a participant may be eligible to participate in legal, verifiable employment.

13.  Does my family member need to pay anything if they are working while on Transitional control?

Yes, all paychecks are submitted to the halfway house.  25% of gross earnings will be charged along with any possible expenses incurred due to major medical expenses, medication, and transportation provided in the community.  If they are on Electronic Monitoring, the rate charged will be 15% or $105 weekly, whichever amount is less.  These funds are returned to the State of Ohio to help support the Transitional Control Program.

14.  Do participants need to do to obtain permission to go into the community?

Yes, they must obtain permission to go into the community by making a request from their case manager.  All leave, including passes must meet departmental guidelines.  Failure to remain in the program or leaving without permission may result in a warrant being issued for their arrest and possibly new felony charges of escape being pursued.  It is always in their best interest to resolve any issues with their case manager and utilize each agency’s standard grievance procedure.

15.  What is electronic monitoring (EM)?

Electronic Monitoring is a specified period of time in which a participant is fitted with a monitoring device that can track their whereabouts and location.  Most participants on electronic monitoring are permitted to reside at an approved address provided they comply with the rules of the program.

16.  Will my family member be on Parole or Post Release Control after they complete the halfway house?

Each case is different and the determination for supervision is made by the parole board.  Your family member will be notified of their supervision status.  They will be given instructions prior to completing the halfway house.

17.  How will they know when they have completed Transitional Control?

The period of Transitional Control will end upon expiration of their original sentence. 


We wish your family member well on their path to successful reentry.